Day 22 – Worked 6.75 hours
Total hours thus far: 135
I’m so excited, but also sad that it’s my last day at Brown. After I hit about 60 hours I can’t believe how quickly the time flew by!
I was able to work on a very brief Prezi to use as an outline for my presentation: http://prezi.com/4hj_pux3cc5f/present/?auth_key=mp3u2z4&follow=w0d0sxjxs3m9. I had already created a Prezi before so this tool wasn’t new to me (thankfully) because there is a bit of a learning curve if you’ve never used it before. It’s designed for very visual/spatially oriented presentations and I find that visual/spatial learners find it easy to use. I like Prezi because it doesn’t really allow for huge chunks of text which eliminates the tendency towards presentations where everything is read right off of the screen. Prezi focuses more on images and connections and the result is dynamic!
I thought the presentation went very well and it was exciting to share my work and final thoughts/perspective with Sarah, Arlando, Carina, and Ned Quist. I mainly just outlined my process and highlighted major observations and milestones in the project. I showed everyone the Creative Commons video, the lesson plans and the text & assessment pieces for each of the sub-modules.
Ned had a few great observations/questions: The first being that in the video I say “derivs” for the licenses and he wanted to know why. I told him it’s because that’s what Creative Commons calls each of the licenses which do not allow derivatives. He recommended I say derivative instead because derivs is jargon.
He also had a question about how I approached teaching Fair Use (in the face-to-face lesson plan specifically). He said that he found examples to be one of the most effective ways to teaching about fair use and the “grey area.” He wanted to know if I had any specific examples in mind that were of excellent quality. I unfortunately could not remember any of the examples, but I did know that the best ones I found were at the Stanford University website. I made sure to go back into the lesson planes and add the Stanford website, recommending that the librarian find a stellar example there to illustrate fair use. Thanks Ned!
In explaining my plans for the citations sub-module, I articulated that I want to approach citing from the discipline’s needs and context. I explained that in my work at the Writing Center I would often explain that MLA focused on the primary text, while APA focused on years. And Chicago could focus on having all the references together at the end. Ned brought to my attention that I would need to remember that Chicago has a host of variations and I may want to think about that when I am framing this component.
After my presentation I continued to work on all of the last parts of my projects, mainly the citations and plagiarism sub-modules. I was able to finish some parts, but not all by the end of the day. Sarah and I met to discuss where I left off at the very end of the day. I let her know that I didn’t want to leave major loose ends like this and want to finish these items on my own time, after I finish all my other required work for my courses. We agreed that I will get as much of this last list of items to her by 3pm on Friday December 16th:
– Re-record the word “no derivatives”
– Draft plagiarism variations component using Martin Luther King Jr’s “I Have a Dream Speech”
– Record any sound files for the last citations and plagiarism sub-components
– Organize scripts in storyboard format
– Finish assessments and text for citations and plagiarism sub-components